Tuesday, April 7, 2015

What I Love About My Bedroom

I'm in love with my bedroom at the farm. I wanted a peaceful, relaxing room to sleep in, with of course, some farmhouse whimsy thrown in. I think I achieved that!  Every time I walk in, I heave a deep sigh of happiness. Just what I was after!

So what's my favorite part? That's a hard one - there are several things I love in this room.

I love the color of my walls. I was a bit worried when I first started painting them that it was going to be too dark. It's not. Instead, the color adds a richness and cocooning feel that was lacking with the plain white walls.


The curtains and furniture are neutral in color too. That way there isn't a lot of visual noise and I can control the amount of bright color by using accessories; in this case a few pops of color from my artwork and red accents, like the quilt Bruce's grandmother made us.

Also, I really love my new rug - I bought an indoor/outdoor one - it's soft underfoot but has a great textural look. Perfect!

source

My old door turned headboard with its metal accent piece is another thing I love. I actually found some tin ceiling tiles I think will work in the panels, so I will be replacing the metal piece with the tin eventually. It's such a great farmhouse look!



And of course, I adore my sliding barn door. I wasn't too sure about my paint treatment but after living with it a couple of weeks, I really like it. Plus, we don't have a door that eats up floor space. :o)




I love all the things that say "this is us". Like the bench with its stenciled saying,


the artwork that reflects country living,


Currier and Ives Four Seasons Prints


farm stitchery - a thrift store find

the pet portraits of my boys I painted in a colorful, whimsical style,

Herbie and Buddy - these make me smile every time!

 and then small touches like my posh rabbit, old toy truck (mine), tractor (Bruce's), wood crate, fox, and rooster lamp.







Last and probably most important, I love our bed and soft sheets. They are essential for a good night's sleep!


We splurged and bought a really good mattress then I made sure we had soft and comfortable sheets to put on it. I have to admit I'm a sheet snob...I can't stand scratchy sheets. Parachute, a bedding company, offers luxurious bedding with attention to quality. I really want to buy a set and try them out. Their bedding sounds so sumptuous. Just what I like!

All these things add up to make this a room I truly love and enjoy. And very definitely us!

What's your favorite thing about your bedroom?


10 comments:

  1. I love you room Cecilia! Your style is so much like mine. You decorate with what you love...handmade, thrifted, sentimental items, and so on and mix in a little trendy too. I love the bright pops of color too! I'm glad you kept the door as is....I think it looks great. Hope you're having a great week.

    Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we connected so well...similar tastes. :-) and thanks for the door love. I just needed to get used to how it looked vs. how I thought it should look. My week is going well; hope yours is too!

      Hugs back

      Delete
  2. Cecilia, What I really like about your bedroom is all the sweet personal touches in there...the thing that makes it uniquely yours. It really does say "real farmhouse" bedroom to me. You got it just right. I, too, think the best thing about a bedroom is a good mattress. We splurged on that, too! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I've had so much fun finding just the right things for our room. I really think the bed/bedding can make a big difference!
      Hugs

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you like the door Cecilia! I know how much work you put into it, and it really does look great in your space. You're so fortunate also to have items that you personally have created to adorn your spaces in your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doreen! I've tried really hard to make this space "us". Since its a second home, I've had to be frugal in what I bought. I am keeping the idea of moving the things I love the most in the back of my mind since I don't want clutter.

      Delete
  4. Cecilia, your bedroom is so YOU--little touches of your personality everywhere! Love it! I am like you about bedding, it has to be comfy. My headboard is a handmade picket fence and my bed and gallery wall of family mementos are my favorites! Hugs, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Your headboard sounds so cute! Funny, I have a picture of the kids on my bedside table but most of the family pictures are in the living room. Not sure how my room will change once we move but the bed, door and rug will still be favs.

      Delete
  5. I love absolutely everything about your room at the farm. The closet door really turned out great.

    I'm a bit of a bed sheet snob too! The only other person that is worse than me is my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanna! So we're sheet snobs...what's a bed without comfortable sheets? Lol.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!

Springtime Projects 3: Have A Seat!

It might still be Spring, but here in Texas, things are starting to heat up and feel like Summer. I knew I needed to get the last of my Spri...